The most reliable way to check the physical condition of a property is completing a home inspection. It is strongly encouraged that you consider the importance of a home inspection if you are contemplating waiving this condition on the offer. Outlined below are some key points to consider regarding home inspections:
- Get references for your home inspector, and make sure that he or she is registered with a provincial association.
- Remember that most home inspection reports have limitation-of-liability clauses.
- Look into obtaining after-closing warranty protection for the plumbing, electrical, heating systems and major appliances.
- Attend the home inspection.
- Participate in the home inspection.
- Be extra vigilant in your inspection if the seller has added any disclaimer clauses to the agreement.